Thursday, December 28, 2006

Revelations

I've decided that one of the two screenplays I'll be writing for this semester is going to be a modernization of the Book of Revelations. Why? Well, it's nothing but symbolism. It is one of my favorite books of the Bible along with Song of Songs because it is JUST symbolism. It is not meant to be an accurate prediction of the end of the world. The repetitive use of symbolic numbers like 4, 6, 7, and 12 is a big indicator of its symbolism. Of course, fundamentalists think it is a literal prophesy of the apocalypse. These people are wrong.

The Book of Revelations, to my knowledge, is also one of the few books of the Bible which has not been made into a movie. The Old Testament and the Gospels have all been adapted to film, but Revelations hasn't.

It's also divided into three basic parts (three act structure) so it should be able to transfer into a script with relative ease. Of course, I'll have to create a story and a human protagonist that exists with Revelations is a setting for the story. This shouldn't be too hard. I don't need to do much for events since the events are already in the Book. I just need to create the characters and figure out their reactions to the events. I've already begun to do this.

In re-reading Revelations, I found a line from Gangs of New York. "I know your works...you are neither hot nor cold...so because you are lukewarm I will spit you out of my mouth."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home