Friday, December 08, 2006

Winter's Here

The weeks of living in a global warming fantasy world are over. Winter showed up this week with freezing temperatures and harsh winds. Then yesterday afternoon, a few inches of blowing snow officially began the shittiest part of the year.

It came very late this year. Three years ago, the first significant snowfall to hit Ithaca was sometime in October or early November. This year, the first snowflakes occurred Sunday November 19th, but did not accumulate. Yesterday, a few inches settled on the ground.

At first, I loved it. I always like the first good snowfall of the season. Change is good, and snow just seems fun.

Then the magic ended as I got to my car. After scraping off ice from my side windows, I shivered uncontrollably, waiting for the heat to kick in. As I drove down South Hill, the untreated road caused other drivers to drive very, very carefully.

I hate when that happens. People go too slow, then they become moving road hazards. It's not like I want to go 50 MPH down the Hill like I normally do, it'd just be nice to move at a decent pace. When traffic moves slowly, it tends to bunch. Bunched traffic leads to accidents, big accidents.

I can't go to Turning Stone tomorrow because the forecast says it will be snowing. The back roads across Central NY tend to be sporadically plowed and treated.

I don't even think I'll drive my car to class tomorrow. I figure, I'll spend 6 or 7 minutes cleaning it off, then another 4 inside the car waiting for it to warm. It only takes me about 30 minutes to walk to class, so I mind as well get some exercise. Also, driving up and down from campus wouldn't be a simple cruise. Also, starting an engine when it's this cold is harmful to the car. I'd rather walk and catch a cold then fuck up my engine, which is already in dire need of various repairs and upgrades.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home