Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Ithaca Poker War

As you may or may not know, I play poker. That's where I get my money. I bought my books last year with money from poker. I feed my addiction to Short-Stop with poker money. There are a lot of poker players in Ithaca. There are some that are very serious. Currently, some of these serious players are in the midst of a war of words, and I'm caught up in it.

I won't name names, but there's basically 4 players, including myself, involved in this little tiff. Another player and I vs. two other players. All of us are pretty good at poker, and all of us have played against each other.

The problem is, all of us have ego problems. We all think we're great and that other players aren't that great. I'm guilty of this as much, if not moreso, than anyone else involved in this feud.

We brag to each other about winning a lot of money, and we try to justify our losing sessions so we don't look bad. Some of us even revel in the losses of others. We make fun of each other's styles of play and don't consider the others in the group to be much of a threat.

It's really a shame because we could all help each other. Poker is a game that you will never be perfect at and you can always improve yourself. Poker is also a game that sometimes requires borrowing money, or helping each other out in some way.

I'm not proud of my childish and overly competetive behavior in this stupid little war. I'm going to try to bring peace to the conflict. We don't have to be friends, but we should all respect each other and try to help each other out. None of us are "made" poker players and we could all benefit from a little advice from players with more objective perceptions.

I will endeavor to be more mature and respectful and I will try to encourage similar behavior in the others. We shouldn't look at each other as competitors, but as colleagues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home