Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Second Worst Birthday Ever

What did I do on my birthday this year? I did schoolwork. Nothing but schoolwork. Even though my birthday was on Thanksgiving, all I did was schoolwork. Oh, and I watched Boston College choke in Miami. Second worst birthday I've ever had, which is saying a lot because the worst was my 11th, which was when my dad was med-flighted to University Hospital in Boston.

I didn't expect much from my 22nd birthday. Last year (in case you're shitty at math) was my 21st and it was amazing. Got drunk for free at bars in Boston and in Norwood. Then the day after, I flew to London and got to see the Arsenal play. Good times. This year, I wasn't looking forward to my 22nd that much. I didn't dread it, I just didn't care.

My mother kept asking me what I wanted for my birthday. I told her "Don't bother, I don't care." That's such a typical Rob Zeitz thing to say, too. But honestly, I didn't care. I wasn't depressed over it, it just didn't excite me in any way. My mom even got me a birthday cake, but I didn't eat any of it.

I had intended to be very active on Thanksgiving. I was looking forward to seeing Xaverian play St. John's Prep. I missed last year's game, first one in 6 years I hadn't gone to. They wound up beating the Prep 34-0. Kevin Mason even got on SportsCenter's top plays for an amazing catch in the game. I mostly wanted to go to the game to see kids I hadn't seen in a long time. I also wanted to berate St. John's Prep principal and former Xaverian principal Ed Hardiman.

Ed Hardiman was a dink and nothing but a dink. Last day of classes senior year, he got me 5 detentions. I pulled out of the parking lot rather quickly, being excited it was the last day of classes. The next day, during a meeting for seniors, he accused me of nearly running him over. Problem was, he was 200 feet away from my car when I pulled out and that was the closest he got. Fucking lying dink.

But I missed the game because I was doing schoolwork.

After the game, I had intended to go down Cape Cod with my brother and mother to see my aunt, uncle, and cousins. No time for that, either. Had to work.

After the Cape, I had intended on going to a bar for my birthday and to watch BC play. No time for that, either.

I wound up doing schoolwork because I'm lazy. I didn't get back to Massachusetts until Monday night thanks to yet another dentist's appointment. On Tuesday and Wednesday, I pretty much slept and did nothing all day. I was really fucking tired and needed a few days off from school and poker. Wednesday night, I got wasted with my friends.

I have a 15 page research paper due on December 2nd. I wanted to get a good chunk of it done during break so I wouldn't have to deal with it too much in Ithaca. Also, three of my sources were located in the Boston Public Library, and nowhere else. That's what happens when you do a paper on an obscure war that took place in 1637 New England.

So all day Thanksgiving, I was in my basement, researching and writing. I knocked out 10 pages of that bitch that day and knocked out another 5 the next day. I met the required length, now all I have to do is finish it up and I'm done with that class for the year.

I actually got really into the paper, which is good. Interesting stuff if you're into history and whatnot.

Despite a shitty birthday that was of my own making, break was pretty good. Got drunk a few times, saw some people I hadn't seen in a while. Some highlights:

For the first time ever, I bowled regular bowling. It was at Jillian's in Boston. I didn't do too well, but considering I was drunk and it was my first time bowling in a non-candelpin bowling alley, I did OK.

After Jillian's, I hugged Gate C at Fenway Park. Drunkenly, I declared it to be "My home. This is where my family lives." Then I found a hat in a trash can. It's a red Red Sox hat with a red B. I still need to wash it before I wear it. It wasn't buried deep in the trash, it was hovering above the rim. But adjacent to refuse is refuse.

The night before Thanksgiving, we drove around Norwood in the Rojo's van. It was the drunk bus for the night. No Norwood cop would dare pull over the Rojo's van, considering it's owner is one of the biggest men in the town.

In the Rojo van, I wrestled Dave and was fish-hooked. That hurt.

I got a Boston Public Library card. It expires in 27 years so I'll set a reminder in my phone for November 24th, 2033.

At the library, I skimmed through a book that was printed in 1827. When I opened it, the cover fell off. The librarians understood.

I also skimmed through a book that was initially written in 1645. Back then, they used a funny looking "f" instead of an "s". That proved difficult, especially when the word first appeared. It looked like fift.

The number of obscure people I knew from Xaverian and St. Catherine's that I saw over break was staggering. I saw a kid who I hadn't seen in 7 years, another one I saw that I hadn't seen in 13 years since we played on the same Little League team.

I finally saw Borat. Fucking masterpiece of comedy right there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home