Monday, November 13, 2006

Root Canal, Part II

Today I underwent the second major phase of my root canal.

The first phase was the "cleansing" of the nerves inside my tooth with tiny little drills called endofiles. The Novocaine they gave me benumbed my senses to this experience, however, there were a few moments in between Novocaine injections when I felt the procedure.

It was an interesting sensation, to say the least. It was the second most painful thing I've ever felt. The most painful thing I ever felt is simply too graphic and painful to mention. The endofile drilling essentially felt like a tiny little piece of metal scraping at the inside of my teeth. That's what it does, and that's the only proper way to describe it. It kind of felt like a very small person's fingernails picking deep within your tooth, deep into the gums. Not fun.

After they drill away EVERYTHING in the nerves, they filled the nerve canals with a disinfecting paste, then they capped my tooth with a temporary cap.

I had a week of taking Naproxen Sodium, essentially highly concentrated Aleve. It dulled the pain and kept down the small but very noticeable (to me, at least) swelling in my gums and jaw. It also made me very tired, and made my poop turn green. That isn't a joke.

After the procedure and the pills, I experienced a lot of weirdness. My sense of smell seemed to be extremely heightened. This was not fun because people stink and I'm no exception. I also didn't want to eat anything. I was hungry, but the thought of eating was disgusting and I was afraid it would hurt. I got used to it though and was forced to eat in order to take my pills.

Today saw the end of my Neproxen prescription and my second visit to the dentist's office that I had sworn to myself "I would never go to again." This time, they removed the temporary cap. Once again, the endofile was employed to ensure the nerve canals were vacant. Then they were filled with rubber. Novocaine was once again used, but it didn't totally numb the area. I felt the sensation of tiny little screws placed in my tooth and liquid rubber being squeezed into my nerves. Not too painful though, especially compared to the traumatic toothache I experienced a week prior.

The rubber in my nerves was capped, but it still needs to be permanently protected. So I will return in a week for Part III of my dental adventure. Until then, a few pills of ibuprofen and eating soft foods that are small enough to be chewed with only one side of my mouth await me for another 7 days.

Right now my tooth feels bad. It hurts slightly and isn't reacting well to pressure or hot/cold sensations. I think this will pass as my tooth adjusts to being filled with rubber. Also, the tooth feels as though it has been expanded somewhat. No doubt that this is causing some discomfort. But I'll take discomfort over agony any day of the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home