Saturday, October 14, 2006

X Gonna Give it to Ya


Going back to Xaverian always seems more and more surreal every time I go. Maybe it's because I'm further removed from there, or maybe it's because my return trips have become spaced out farther and farther apart.

I went home to Massachusetts this weekend because I needed a break from Ithaca. I've been there for the better part of 10 months straight. I tend to need breaks from places after awhile. I just get sick of them. The same routine, the same people, the same things to do, the same food to eat, et cetera. You need a change of pace to keep yourself sane.

Anyways, I noticed on Thursday reading Boston.com that Xaverian was playing Everett this Saturday in Westwood. Xaverian's ranked 5th, Everett 1st in the state. It was something to do on a Saturday afternoon so Cav and I went there.

I'm just gonna say that it was flat out weird to go there. You spend 4 years at a place, then you leave, but it still exists. It changes, but it also kind of stops in time. Both the differences and the similarities weird you out.

Seeing Coach Crowley, my track & field coach, wearing the same 2001 State Champions jacket that he wore back when I went there was fucking weird. It's as if he was frozen in time from my graduation and thawed out for me when I returned. Juxtaposed with Crowley was Dr. Pirozzi, one of my theology teachers. He's gotten much older in appearance these past few years. He's also now driving a '79 Kawasaki bike.

Even though there's a new bunch of upper-middle class white kids going to Xaverian, they all still seem the same as the mass of XBHS kids that went there when I went there. The ridiculous Boston accents, the massive amount of Red Sox hats, the Xaverian sweatshirts, and the same basic attitudes and nuances of Xaverian kids. The legacy lives on.

One thing that seemed to change were the girls. They looked pretty much the same as the girls that went to games when I went to Xaverian, but from my perspective, they looked like kids. I remember how hot I thought those girls were back when I was in high school. Now, they can't even hold a candle to the girls my age. I also felt like a pervert cuz there were a few girls I found attractive, but I might be like 4 or 5 years older than them.

There was one moment when DMX's "X Gonna Give it to Ya" was played on the stadium loudspeakers. That was just ludicrous to me. They never played music at games when I was a student, except for Amazing Grace and the Star Spangled Banner. DMX cracked that barrier though.

There were Xaverian cheerleaders there, too. They were from Fontbonne, but still, it was odd. They were pretty shitty too. Worst pyramids, EVER.

One of the strangest sights was Ms. Douglass...with her baby. I remember Ms. Douglass was one of the few oasises of feminine beauty in an environment composed of 1,000 men and maybe 10 women. She was still pretty attractive, too. I wanted to say "hello" to her, but I didn't know if she'd recognize me. I've lost about 40 pounds since I went to Xaverian, and gained about 30 pounds of hair. I do my best to avoid unnecessary awkwardness whenever possible.

The day was topped off with a short encounter with Mr. Chris Chimilinski. No day is complete without a moment with Chima.

It's good going back there, but definately fucking weird as shit for me.

Oh yeah, X lost 28-14 to E. X vs. E, battle of the nicknames for ecstacy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home